Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences
Graduate Degree Requirements
MS: The Plan of Study is due on the first day of the second academic semester
Ph.D.: The Plan of Study is due on the first day of the third acadmic semester
|Basic Requirements||Ph.D.||MS||MS (Resident)|
|Total credits||Min. 90||Min. 30||Min. 30|
|Research credits (5994/7994)*||Min. 30||Min. 6||Min. 6|
|Course credits||Min. 27||Min. 20||Min. 20|
|5000-level (or higher) credits||Min. 21||Min. 14||Min. 14|
|4000-level credits**||Max. 6||Max. 6||Max. 6|
|Special Study (5984/6984) or Independent Study (5974 credits||Max. 18||Max. 9||Max. 9|
* Must be taken at Virginia Tech
** May include Special Study (4984) courses but may not include Undergraduate Independent Study (4974) or Undergraduate Research (4994) courses
|Required Courses||Ph.D.||MS||MS (Resident)|
|BMVS 5094: Grnt Writing and Ethics||3 credits||Optional||Optional|
|BMVS 5174: Responsible Conduct of Research||1 credit||1 credit||1 credit|
|BMVS 5594: Current Technologies in Biomedical Sciences||1 credit||1 credit||Optional|
|BMVS 5944: BMVS Seminar*||1, taken 4 times||1, taken 2-3 times||1, taken 1-3 times|
|BMVS 6014: Veterinary Clinical Sciences Residency**||N/A||N/A||0, taken every semester|
|GRAD 5004: GTA Workshop||1 credit
|GRAD 5144: Communicating Science||2 credits||Optional||Optional|
|Min. 3 credits||Min. 2 credits||Min. 2 credits|
Biochemistry or Molecular Biology
|Min. 3 credits||Optional||Optional|
* Please note:
- PhD students must enroll four times and present in seminar two of the four semesters registered
- MS students must enroll two times and present a seminar in at least one of the two semesters registered. May take a third time for credit.
- One credit hour can be substituted with an alternative seminar with instructor approval.
- Resident/MS students are excused from the non-presenting registration.
** Resident/MS students must enroll in BMVS 6014 every semester.
*** Public Health students will take PHS 5025 Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods in Public Health
**** Public Health students will take PHS 5004 Fundamentals of Public Health